Friday, November 7, 2008

HOPE HOSPICE

HOPE HOSPICE
I honestly don't know where to begin. A friend on the Cape approached me last May, asking me if I would be interested in working for Cape Coral's Hope Hospice
http://www.hopehospice.org/ I told her I would give it some thought. Time went on, and I kept thinking about Merri's suggestion, wondering if I would be a fit for the organization. Merri McNeeley sent me the Hospice application to our NJ beach house. It sat on my desk for a few months. I would occasionally glance at it, wondering if I would ever fill out the application for working there. After much thought and an inner prompting, I made a decision to fill out the application and see where it would bring me. Some more time went on, until one day I received a phone call from one of the employees at Hope Hospice. Joe called and wanted to have an interview with me. I had a lengthy interview with Joe. I told him that I was mainly interested in administration at one of their Hospice Houses. Joe told me that I would benefit to go to their full training course to become certified as a Hospice Volunteer. They do not take volunteers lightly! For them to qualify for Medicaid, they have to have at least 5% of their staff as volunteers! I made the decision to go to training and this is what I did this week. To make a long story short, I have made a decision to not only work administration, but to work with the Hopsice patients. This will be an emotional challenge for me. I will be working at the Hospice House and these people will be at their end stages of whatever condition that brought them to their final days. I will be there when they pass from this journey to the next. I know that this new job will bring a new and heightened awareness of the brevity of life. I ask that whoever reads this post to shoot up a prayer for me as I minister to my patients. Thanks be to God for each of you!!!Oh, and by the way, I passed all of my tests and Graduated today!!!! I still need some continual education courses and my second TB test to work at Hospice, but I am just about there!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audrey,
I don't know what to say. I am very touched that you have come to be involved with Hope Hospice.
From personal experience, I know what a comfort your presence brought to both Patient and family, during the end stages of life as we knew it. You know I am speaking of you being here when my mother Grace was sick, and dying. It was a terrible and unknown time for her, as well as for all of us. I also know of the involvement you had with another friend, and family, during a long struggle with cancer. You and John both were there.
As an RN, I have had many opportunities myself, to be similarly involved, and I know that you Audrey, have a rare and unique ability to be Present. You are able just to Be, quietly. Everyone who knows you recognizes your Spirit is full of life, which you also bring to the bedside.
This quiet, life-filled presence is exactly what brings comfort and rest to those who are suffering, apprehensive and exhausted. Your time spent with such a person, brings them dignity. This is the kindness that is the most compassionate. What a blessing you have been, and will be.
I thank God, for your gifts, and for your friendship.
Love, Suzanne

Sue said...

Audrey,
I am very moved by your decision to do this. To me you are braver than braver, and stronger than I could ever be, and I pray that your strength will come from God as you are with these patients. May God bless you as you begin this journey.

Search This Blog

Mothers Day Video from Erin!

My Favorite Sites and Blogs

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Pages

Followers

Worldwide Flag Counter

My Song List


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Stumble Upon Toolbar

Powered by FeedBurner

Bookmark and Share