Monday, October 6, 2008

FOR THE HEALTH NUTS OUT THERE

This is how it looks before baking
This is how it looks after baking
MY FRIEND JANE FROM MAINE PASSED THIS YUMMY RECIPE ONTO ME. YUM YUM


GRANOLA 6 Cups Old Fashion Dry Oatmeal 6 Tablespoons Brown Sugar 3 Teaspoons Cinnamon 1 Cup Mixed Raw Nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds and/or hazelnuts) I usually use more because Paul loves the nuts and it is less Carbs 1/4 Cup each Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds 3/4 Cup Frozen Concretated Apple Juice (thawed) 3 Tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup (I've used both and they are equally good) 3 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil 3/4 Cup Dried Blueberries or Dried Cranberries 1/2 Cup Raisins Other dried fruit if desired.....I used to chop dried apricots and mangos but just do cranberries and raisins. I like it better that way. 1. In a large bowl add the oatmeal, brown sugat and cinnamon. Mix with your hands until well blended 2. Add the nuts and seeds and mix together.3. In a pyrex measuring cup pour the applejuice and heat in microwave until hot (about 1 minute). Add the honey to dissolve, then the vanilla and oil. 4. Pour over the oatmeal mixture and blend with a large soon until all is well coated.5. Divide mixture between 2 cookie sheets sprayed with PAM.6. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove and stir well with spatula (it works better than a spoon). Return to oven and cook for 5 minutes, Remove and stir and back 5 more minutes. Usually this is long enough but sometimes, depending how much there is in the pan, it'll take longer. I then bake and check every three minutes. I alternate from top to bottom rack. I love the double ovens in Florida because I can get the baking done faster.7. Cool the granola in the baking pans.8. When cool and crisp place in a bowl, add the fruit and store in ZipLoc Bags. This recipe doubled will fill 6 quart bags. I store extras in the freezer. If you should use a 9x13 pan, which I use on the boat, it'll take longer to cook. Just be sure to stir frequently because it burns easily.







No comments:

Search This Blog

Mothers Day Video from Erin!

My Favorite Sites and Blogs

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Pages

Followers

Worldwide Flag Counter

My Song List


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Stumble Upon Toolbar

Powered by FeedBurner

Bookmark and Share